14.2.09

WASHINGTON, DC 1974, 2006, 2008


Washington, DC is one of those intriguing places steeped in history and historical sites. It's also one of those cities requiring an extended stay to absorb everything it has to offer. Unfortunately, each of my visits only lasted one day. To this day, The Smithsonian remains at the top of my "to-do" list.

For those who must blow in and blow out of Washington, here are my suggested must-sees:

1.) The White House, 2.) the Capitol Building 3.) the Washington Monument, 4.) Lincoln Memorial, 5.) Jefferson Memorial, 6.) WWII Memorial and 7.) The Vietnam Memorial. All are within easy walking distance.

The layout of the mall is nothing short of genius. Each vista includes more than one monument and more than one opportunity to reflect on our amazing history.

I have to say, I loved Washington by night best. The reflecting pond glimmers. Lights sparkle and bounce off the water. The statue of Lincoln glows in the surround of the memorial. The marker commemorating Dr. King's immortal speech is inlaid at the top of the memorial steps and is visible even in the low light. The Vietnam Memorial by night is poignant and emotional; growing from a few inches to soaring heights, name after name; over 50,000 in all. Every few inches, a flag, a flower, a pair of jungle boots, a note, left to the cherished memory of a fallen soldier. Intense and sobering sums up the emotions the memorial left upon my soul. I hear it is even more powerful during the day. I cannot imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment